THE WORLD IS WATCHING INDIA
In MARCH 2021
- Global solidarity on Women’s Day for incarcerated/falsely charged Indian women activists.
- UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention finds Safoora Zargar’s arrest and detention violates human rights.
- Report on ‘Caste-Hate Speech’ calls for inclusion of caste in global policies and covenants on hate speech.
- Freedom House downgrades India from “free” to “partly free”; notes “Modi and his party are tragically driving India itself towards authoritarianism.”
- V-Dem report classifies India as an “electoral autocracy”.
- After e-petition crossed 1,00,000 signatures UK Parliament debates press freedoms and safety of protestors in India.
- The Humanism Project (Australia) joined Amnesty International in briefing the Australian Parliamentarians on the human rights situation in India on March 15 in Canberra.
- Anthropologist Thomas Blom Hansen’s new book shows “violence has moved to the centre stage of Indian public life.”
- Time Magazine reports on “tightening of academic freedoms” in India.